Saturday, 7 March 2015

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen

This is my third re-read in a row. I'm not sure I've ever done this much sequential re-reading. It's like I don't have the energy to meet anyone new. I can't handle the degree of choice required in choosing and then actually continuing to read a new novel. And what can you say about PRIDE AND PREJUDICE? It's a marvel. PERSUASION is my favourite of her books, but reading P & P again I was struck once more by her perfection. Dead at 41, and only 5 novels; but each a marvel. Truly, I think she is the perfect novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE PRIVATE MEMOIRS AND CONFESSIONS OF A JUSTIFIED SINNER by James Hogg

The first appeal of this book is that the author was an eighteenth century shepherd who taught himself to read. It’s not so often that the ...